Re: Forcing a specific order

From: Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>,PostgreSQL Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forcing a specific order
Date: 2005-10-12 02:38:03
Lists: pgsql-novice
Tom Lane wrote:
> Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org> writes:
>
>>I should have been a bit more clear on the matter.   Order by is useful
>>if you want to sort the dataset a specific way using rows.  However,
>>what if I wanted to specify the order the rows are returned in using
>>information from another query?
>

> This sounds like you are trying to force a join order, not a specific
> tuple order.  Have you read the material about join ordering in the
> performance-tips chapter?
>
> 			regards, tom lane

Honestly no.  Though I think I managed to find a quick solution for now
using a temporary table.    This cuts down massively on the rows and
makes things pretty quick and slick overall.

I will however look at it, as it might explain why I was having
troubles.   If the join could have taken place after rows were cut down,
things would have been more efficient!

Thanks!

	Martin Foster
	Creator/Designer Ethereal Realms