Forcing a specific order

From: Martin Foster <martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Forcing a specific order
Date: 2005-10-12 00:56:41
Lists: pgsql-novice

This may come across as a rather odd question. However, is there a way
to force PostgreSQL to return rows in a very specific order? I am
currently facing running one three-way-join query which will last 50+
seconds. Since this is a web-based application this hardly makes for a
fast browsing experience.

One solution is to break it up into more manageable pieces. If I can
specify the sort order then I can run concurrent queries and get things
settled easily. Otherwise I'll have to fetch for every row returned
and that seems messy and I would like to avoid it.

Any ideas?

Martin Foster
martin(at)ethereal-realms(dot)org