Re: Certification Available +Pronounce

From: Robert Cleary <robert(dot)cleary(at)ul(dot)ie>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Certification Available +Pronounce
Date: 2005-10-04 15:51:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
David Fetter wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:39:30AM +0100, Robert Cleary wrote:
>>1) Is there a PostgreSQL equivalent certification to the MySQL Core
>>Certification (btw drawn #8 in hottest 05
>>certifications list)
>>If not, maybe this could be another target to increase pg's
>I'm not sure I understand this question.  Could you explain what
>purposes and whose interests such a certification, if it existed,
>would serve?
Well, if those completely-new to databases - see, that outside of
Microsoft Access, SQL Server, and Oracle - MySQL is the most widely
downloaded _open-source_ solution
(; and also, that, by
learning to become proficient in this, they can also get a certification
(recognised by managers etc.) - then, why not become a mysql guru.

My point being, that with the latest developments with pgsql, and the
media awareness EnterpriseDB has brought by winning the SanFrancisco
LinuxWorld 05 Best-Database-Solution award, people will begin to become
aware of  pgsql, as a more advanced  open-source solution with  all the
readily seen  advantages thereof.
Now, if I can also get certified in that, then why not go for pgsql instead.

The more DB beginners going for pgsql the better for it's future, no?