Re: Can't start postgresql 8.3.7

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Sam Wun <swun2010(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't start postgresql 8.3.7
Date: 2009-06-26 13:24:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Sam Wun <swun2010(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I had been running postgresql 8.3.7 in freebsd for some time, but
> after I changed its postgresql.conf file, it can't start any more
> eventhoguh I changed the config back to its original file.
> Anything wrong?

> Jun 26 15:58:52 twp1 postgres[1394]: [1-1] FATAL: could not create
> semaphores: No space left on device

Apparently you changed the config in such a way that it no longer
recognizes the old set of semaphores as being ones it should recycle.
You need to get rid of the old SysV semaphore set. The easy, foolproof
way to do that is to reboot. If you can't reboot the machine, then use
ipcs and ipcrm to clean up manually. If there's more than one Postgres
running on the system, be sure not to zap the semaphores belonging to
the other instances...