Re: to drop a 30GB database. is it slow?

From: Alban Hertroys <alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl>
To: Gábor Farkas <gabor(at)nekomancer(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: to drop a 30GB database. is it slow?
Date: 2005-09-30 08:55:19
Lists: pgsql-general
Gábor Farkas wrote:
> i'm only afraid that maybe if we issue the drop-db command, it will take
> for example 30minutes...

Wouldn't it be more effective to create a new table by selecting your
session table and switch their names? You can drop the troublesome table
afterwards, without influencing the availability of your database any
further.

This should minimize your downtime, I think - unless people have even
speedier solutions, of course.

--
Alban Hertroys
alban(at)magproductions(dot)nl