Re: Comparative performance

From: Joe <svn(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>
To: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)alcove(dot)com(dot)au>,Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>,pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Comparative performance
Date: 2005-09-29 20:50:54
Lists: pgsql-performance
PFC wrote:
>     Even though this query isn't that optimized, it's still only 16
> milliseconds.
>     Why does it take this long for PHP to get the results ?
>
>     Can you try pg_query'ing this exact same query, FROM PHP, and timing
> it  with getmicrotime() ?

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.  It's microtime(), BTW.  It'll take me
some time to instrument it, but that way I can pinpoint what is really slow.

>     You can even do an EXPLAIN ANALYZE from pg_query and display the
> results  in your webpage, to check how long the query takes on the server.
>
>     You can also try it on a Linux box.

My current host only supports MySQL.  I contacted hub.org to see if they could
assist in this transition but I haven't heard back.

>     This smells like a TCP communication problem.

I'm puzzled by that remark.  How much does TCP get into the picture in a local
Windows client/server environment?

Joe