Re: Postgresql 8.0.3, symbolic link to /var/lib/pgsql/data/base

From: Jeffrey Tenny <jeffrey(dot)tenny(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Jeffrey Tenny <jeffrey(dot)tenny(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql 8.0.3, symbolic link to /var/lib/pgsql/data/base
Date: 2005-09-29 01:11:49
Lists: pgsql-admin
I tried a few:

    chcon -t postgresql_db_t /home/pgsql

type things.  No luck.

It's interesting that there are no permission denials
logged in /var/log/messages, but postgresql
says it can't access /var/lib/pgsql/data/base
because permission is denied (in the postgres log).

I played with the symlink chcon user, and the /home/pgsql user
as well (again, chcon, not chown).

It's clearly selinux though.  If I do this:

	/usr/sbin/setenforce 0

Then everything works peachy for my testing.

But turning off selinux is probably a one way road,
since all files created in that environment won't have their
context set.  So I really need to solve this in the correct fashion.

For now I'll run with the database files under /var/lib/pgsql/data
until I (or someone else) can figure out the selinux/postgresql magic.