archive_command

From: Kris Kiger <kris(at)musicrebellion(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: archive_command
Date: 2005-09-28 16:10:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

I've been playing around with recovery and am a bit confused as to
when this method gets invoked.
At the moment, I have two servers set up, both of them with postgres
installed. Lets call them server A and server B. Server A is running
postgres and processing transactions. Server B has postgres installed,
but the postmaster is not running. My archive_command is set to use
rsync copy the wal log from server A to server B. When i'm watching the
number of wal files on server A I notice sometimes there are 3 files
that have not been archived, sometimes there are 4, and sometimes there
are more.
So, my question is, when is archive_command invoked?

Thanks in advance!
Kris