Re: Patching dblink.c to avoid warning about open transaction

From: Jonathan Beit-Aharon <jbeitaharon(at)intrusic(dot)com>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patching dblink.c to avoid warning about open transaction
Date: 2005-09-27 13:35:04
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches
Joe Conway wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> [ Joe, would you review this? ]
>>
>> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>>
>>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches
>>
>> It will be applied as soon as one of the PostgreSQL committers reviews
>> and approves it.
>

> The patch itself is pretty simple, but I'm unclear on the use case.
> Jonathan, can you elaborate a bit?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>
> p.s. I'm on a business trip in Asia again, so my responses may be
> delayed a bit.

Hi Joe,
We are using the dblink module on Sensor servers to provide
summarization services to a Central server.  Sensors are in the business
of populating certain Postgres databases, and the Central is in the
business of populating a summary Postgres database.  The issue in our
situation is that the Central server does an explicit BEGIN transaction
some time before it calls the dblink_open() routine.  On the Sensors, we
were getting many "there is already a transaction in progress" warnings,
and overflowing our log storage.  Is this patch the right way to go
about this?
Thanks,
Jonathan