Re: State of support for back PG branches

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of support for back PG branches
Date: 2005-09-27 02:31:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>>> This sounds reasonable to me ... I think it is more then most software
>>> projects do, isn't it?
>>

>> To translate that into reality: 7.2 (2002-02-04) would be dead already,
>> and 7.3 (2002-11-27) will be dead around the time we are likely to
>> release 8.1. Do people feel comfortable with that? It seems to fit
>> with what I'd like to do right at the moment, which is to release
>> updates back to 7.3 but not 7.2.

I think there should be levels of support.

previous major release less than 18 month old (this would cover 7.4):
Bug fixes, security fixes
previous major release greator than 18 months but not over 3 years:
security fixes

Over 3 years... your on your own.

Although this will be tougher as versions such as 7.4 could easily be
running in another 3 years
as it is a reasonable stable version without any significant issue
(meaning production issue bugs).

Also from a commercial perspective the community would be freed up a
little to concentrate on
delivering the kick ass product, where commercial interests could help
keep up with bug fixes,
security fixes on older releases etc...

Heck that is what RedHat does.

Sincerely,