Re: simple Q about postgreSQL,,,,,plz help

From: Tim Allen <tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Shaimaa A(dot)N" <shaimaa_an(at)yahoo(dot)com>, sydpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: simple Q about postgreSQL,,,,,plz help
Date: 2005-09-27 00:45:58
Lists: sydpug

Chris Smith wrote:
> Shaimaa A.N wrote:
>
>> hi....
>> this is my first Q>>>>>i wanna know if the postgreSQL support object
>> oriented ....becouse our doctor want us to make our final project in
>> database using postgreSQL and object oriented,,,,then connect the site
>> by PHP....plz help me....
>
> Postgresql isn't an object oriented database.
>
> You can interface with postgresql using an object oriented programming
> language (c++, php, python, ruby, java etc).

PostgreSQL is _sort_of_ an object oriented database. The usual claim
made about it is that it's "object-relational", though you'd have to say
it was more relational than object. It does have object oriented
features (eg you can create tables which are derived from other tables),
but there are limitations (eg indexes and constraints don't respect
table inheritance).

And as Chris notes, you can certainly connect to the database using
object oriented client languages, including PHP.

Depending on exactly what you want to do (and that's not entirely clear
from the original message), postgres might be suitable. If you ask a
more precise question, you'll get a more precise answer :).

Tim

Tim Allen tim(at)proximity(dot)com(dot)au
Proximity Pty Ltd http://www.proximity.com.au/