Re: On Logging

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Subject: Re: On Logging
Date: 2005-09-26 17:57:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:
> ...log file formats in 8.0....
>
> * CSV
> * YAML
> * XML
> * Piped logs, as Apache can do
> * DB handle. I know this one will be controversial.
> [...]
> 1. Am I the only one who would wants an option for machine-readable logs?

I'd very much like a format that can be easily loaded into
a database (not necessarily the same one producing the logs :-) )
in real time and/or be visible as a table through something
like dbi-link.

I suppose any of the first three formats you suggest could work
with dbi-link; or another alternate format
* sql insert statements
would work if piped logs were supported by sending it to psql.