Re: How to determine cause of performance problem?

From: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
To: Michael Stone <mstone+postgres(at)mathom(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to determine cause of performance problem?
Date: 2005-09-23 11:19:55
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 23-9-2005 13:05, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 12:21:15PM +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>
> Ok, that's great, but you didn't respond to the suggestion of using COPY
> INTO instead of INSERT.
>
>> But I have no clue where to begin with determining the bottleneck (it
>> even may be a normal performance for all I know: I have no experience
>> with converting such (large) database).
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>

> Respond to the first suggestion?

Another suggestion:
How many indexes and constraints are on the new table?
Drop all of them and recreate them once the table is filled. Of course
that only works if you know your data will be ok (which is normal for
imports of already conforming data like database dumps of existing tables).
This will give major performance improvements, if you have indexes and
such on the new table.

Best regards,

Arjen