We have to support ANSI encoding...

From: Johann Zuschlag <zuschlag2(at)online(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: We have to support ANSI encoding...
Date: 2005-09-20 14:07:46
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Dave,

I hope, that we can keep two drivers for the future. In fact we have to.
Just note the excerpt of the PostgreSQL docs below:

20.1.2. Behavior

Locale support influences the following features:

* Sort order in queries using ORDER BY
* The ability to use indexes with LIKE clauses
* The |to_char| family of functions

The drawback of using locales other than C or POSIX in PostgreSQL is its
performance impact. It slows character handling and prevents ordinary
indexes from being used by LIKE. For this reason use locales only if you
actually need them.

So because of performance reasons we don't want to use UTF-8 always. The
conclusion is that we must support both drivers.

Regards
Johann