Re: Server Time Setting

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Lane Van Ingen <lvaningen(at)ESNCC(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Server Time Setting
Date: 2005-09-15 16:59:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Lane Van Ingen wrote:

>If I am following this correctly, I may have solved the problem for myself
>in
>the Eastern time zone, but this application gets deployed around the world,
>anywhere at sea that a vessel can go. While I think the vessel sets its time
>based on its home port and keeps it that way through voyage(s), I am won-
>dering if handling of time is still going to give me problems outside of
>time
>zones where DST is being observed.

If they set the machine to the home port's time and leave it there that
should be no problem, as long as they select DST adjustment if it's a
zone that uses DST. In fact I suspect they can set it anyway, regardless
of TZ, because if the zone doesn't have DST nothing should happen. Test
it and see.

The trouble with any sort of detection/correction would be that if the
DST flag is off we have no idea whether the user has left the time on
the zone's base and so it shows an hour's difference from actual local
time, or if they have set it to the DST time manually and thus more or
less lied about the value of UTC. I've seen both happen, many times.

cheers

andrew