Re: The character which cannot be translated.

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Diego Gil <diego(at)adminsa(dot)com>
Cc: PgAdmin Hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The character which cannot be translated.
Date: 2005-09-13 21:30:13
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Diego Gil wrote:
> Andreas:
>
> I can help with some editing or testing, if you need it. I have more 25
> years of vi experience !!.

Oh hello, greetings to the author of vi, nice to know it's you :-)

  I mean it, if you can use some help from me, just tell.

Well that's very kind, and highly appreciated. In this case (as in most
others) you'd need intimate knowledge of the (well documented... :-)
source of pgadmin, to locate the problems. I'm probably n^2 times faster
on this than you, or would you know that I had to seek for
factory(__(" giving 42 occurrences, replace _( by __( and add
wxGetTranslation to pgaFactory::AppendMenu? I'd be glad for backup
problem solver people to step in, you're welcome!

But we're also happy about testers, who will notice and describe the
problems as detailed as possible, which will enable Dave and me to
pinpoint the problem in the source and fix it. Software is nothing
without good testers, join us and try to outperform Hiroshi, our current
#1 bug reporter :-)

Regarding additional coders:
In the last two years, we had some major restructuring/refactoring of
pgAdmin's object/action framework, which is (for my part) quite finished
and stable now, meeting future extensibility demands (AFAICS the
future). So have a look at the code, and try to understand how things
work! (Something's still outstanding for better readability: replacing
looping pgSet with Eof() and MoveNext() by pgSetIterator/RowsLeft(), and
replacing tree child iteration currently done with raw wxWidgets methods
by treeObjectIterator; both currently used only in very new code.)

If you like some challenge, you could try to implement changing
databases in the query tool (a neat idea, should have been mine:-), as
somebody suggested and offered to implement but sadly didn't. A combobox
in the query tool's toolbar, enabling to select from currently connected
db's (instead of the single frmQuery->conn from ctor), a means of adding
new connections to that combobox (a "...more" combobox entry? For
finding valid server/db data, see db selection in dlgRepCluster when
joining a cluster).

Regards,
Andreas