Change of default type in DBD::Pg 1.42

From: Mischa Sandberg <mischas(at)ActiveState(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Change of default type in DBD::Pg 1.42
Date: 2005-09-09 20:44:33
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Was curious about the change that came about in the thread:

Re: [Dbdpg-general] benchmarking old Pg and DBD::Pg

... which (I gather) hinged on an efficiency issue, of type-mismatch between
passed parameters and indexed columns.

I'm asking because a fair amount of code broke in our app,
when "?" appeared in a context where PG couldn't determine a type from context,
but VARCHAR was appropriate.

In general, Perl, and perl programmers, assume it's okay for any scalar to
reduce to a string. One even claims that the DBI spec actually says that default
binding is VARCHAR; I have yet to track down the reference.

I was under the impression that type-mismatch of constants vs indexed-column
types was something that was fixed in Postgres8; should the above "fix" then not
be a non-issue? To un-break code here, I'm having to reverse the patch on
dbdimp.c :-(

--
"Dreams come true, not free." -- S.Sondheim.

pgsql-interfaces by date

Next:From: Van Tress,Michael J - PGPWDate: 2005-09-09 20:56:37