Migration from odbc driver 7.x to 8.x

From: Christian Schröder <cs(at)deriva(dot)de>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Migration from odbc driver 7.x to 8.x
Date: 2005-09-06 16:12:09
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hello list!
We have been using the PostgreSQL odbc driver 7.03.02.00 for a long time
to access our PostgreSQL 8.0.3 database with Microsoft Access. Now we
updated to odbc driver 8.00.01.02 and get the well-known problems with
non-ascii characters. I have already found several threads in this
mailing list and have come to the conclusion that it has been our fault
to use an SQL_ASCII encoding in our database. So I set up a test
database using UNICODE as encoding and tried to store some umlauts in it
(using the new odbc driver). This worked fine; however, when I tried to
access this new database using the old odbc driver, the umlauts were not
displayed correctly.
Now my question is: How can I perform a smooth migration from the old
odbc driver to the new one? Is there any special trick? If I change the
database encoding, the old driver will fail to get the umlauts right. If
I don't change, the new driver does not work. It will be nearly
impossible to do an instant update of the driver on all computers.
Thanks a lot for your suggestions.

Christian

--
Deriva GmbH                          Tel.: +49 551 50419181
Financial IT and Consulting           Fax:  +49 551 5083159

Deriva CA Certificate: http://www.deriva.de/deriva-ca.cer

pgsql-odbc by date