Re: Serialization errors on single threaded request

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Serialization errors on single threaded request
Date: 2005-08-26 22:04:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Kevin Grittner wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm not familiar with a good way to capture the stream of communications with the database server. If you could point me in the right direction, I'll give it my best shot.

tcpdump will do the trick (something like 'tcpdump -n -w
some.output.file -s 1514 -i any tcp port 5432')

Or you can pass '&loglevel=2' as part of the JDBC connection URL to have
the JDBC driver generate a log of all the messages it sends/receives (in
less detail than a full network-level capture would give you, though)

> I did just have a thought, though -- is there any chance that the JDBC Connection.commit is returning once the command is written to the TCP buffer, and I'm getting hurt by some network latency issues

No, the JDBC driver waits for ReadyForQuery from the backend before
returning.

-O