Calculating the number of months between two dates

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Calculating the number of months between two dates
Date: 2005-08-26 02:06:02
Lists: sfpug

I'm having problems using timestamps and intervals to schedule recurring
events. How can I test if today's date/timestamp is equal to a start
date plus some number of arbitrary intervals? E.g., 3/30/05 + (X * 2
months) = 5/30, 7/30, 9/30, etc.

The main problem I'm having is that subtracting timestamps always
results in an interval of days rather than some combination of years,
months, days, etc.

Thanks for any pointers or ideas,

Brian