Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>,Lance Obermeyer <LObermey(at)pervasive(dot)com>,pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org,Robert Bernier <robert(dot)bernier5(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Subject: Re: Linux trademark and PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-19 20:55:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
> Until recently, the Linux trademark wasn't being enforced either, to the
> best of my knowledge ... obviously it doesn't take much to change that,
> if this initiative that is being discussed is making headway ...

Well actually that isn't the case. The reason AFAIK that the Linux
trademark became such a headliner is that some blow hard that didn't
have anything to do with Linux trademarked it, and then lost a
subsequent court case to Linus on retrieval of the mark.

Since Linus has had the mark it has been enforced and there has been a
policy in place.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for an official policy on the PostgreSQL
trademark that is determined by Core and/or a neutral official entity
such as a non-profit.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake