Re: GiST memory usage

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: strk(at)refractions(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GiST memory usage
Date: 2005-08-15 14:02:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Is there a way to detect where is memory hold ?
Look at postgis code. We constructed rtree_gist index over 1e9 rows (on 8.0 pgsql).

> Is there an index-specific memory context for use
> to early release memory blocks allocated during
> operations (didn't see any use of memory contexts
> in the contrib/rtree_gist) ?

8.1 pgsql has short lived memory context during index creation which resets
after every insert. 8.0 hasn't this feature, so user-defined function (GiST
interfface) should carefully clean memory.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/