Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>,Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] For review: Server instrumentation patch
Date: 2005-08-12 11:28:22
Lists: pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I did not include pg_logdir_ls because that was basically pg_ls_dir with
> logic to decode the log file name and convert it to a timestamp.  That
> seemed best done in the client.

IMHO omitting pg_logdir_ls is a bad idea, because the function is
intended to hide server internal's naming scheme from the user. We want
as few server side implementation specific client side code as possible.
    In addition, pg_logdir_ls filters files that are not log files.
You'll probably have trouble writing a query that performes this task.

Regards,
Andreas