Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Josef Springer <Josef(dot)Springer(at)JOOPS(dot)COM>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel
Date: 2005-08-05 21:54:34
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Sadly I don't even have the time to follow this threas thorougly.
IMHO the current pgadmin behaviour should be workable for all situations
(unless data isn't really stored in the encoding as the server encoding
states):

Client encoding is set to UNICODE automatically for all server encodings
excluding SQL_ASCII and MULE_INTERNAL, because for all other encodings
proper conversions exist. For SQL_ASCII and MULE_INTERNAL these are used
as client encoding too, hoping the app knows what to do.

In case the server encoding is wrong, the client will have to have to
play with client encoding itself. In this case, the driver shouldn't try
to do conversions itself, but leave as much as possible to the client.

Regards,
Andreas