Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel

From: Josef Springer <Josef(dot)Springer(at)JOOPS(dot)COM>
To: dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Usind database with encoding UNICODE and vovel
Date: 2005-08-04 06:04:28
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hi Dave,

i have tested the settings in driver setup for the DSN without any
effect (i send the same command after connected through the port too).

The environment:
Server and client same machineWin2k, german locale
PostgrSQL 8.0.3
Using the installed ODBC driver
German locale selected in the PostgreSQL installation

Using no vovels (umlaut) work fine. But using a vovel, curious effect.
I have tried all server and client variations with sense with this
result. All tests are done with a string column containing a"o"u"?
Server database encoding
Client encoding
Result
LATIN
LATIN
Writing works. Reading gets the bytearray 63.63,0,1,0,2,47,0
LATIN
UNICODE Reading works bur witing gets an error 'Bad code xxx for UNICODE'
UNICODE
UNICODE
Writing works. Reading gets the bytearray 63.63,0,1,0,2,47,0
UNICODE
LATIN
Writing works. Reading gets the bytearray 63.63,0,1,0,2,47,0
UNICODE
WIN1250
Writing works. Reading gets the bytearray 63.63,0,1,0,2,47,0
SQL_ASCII
UNICODE
Writing works. Reading gets the bytearray 63.63,0,1,0,2,47,0

In PgAdminIII the column is displayed correct in all server database
variations !

We plan to announce our Business-Process-Management-System OfficeTalk
supportimg PostgreSQL, but without vovels in german .... What to do ?????

Best Regards,
Josef Springer

<cid:part1(dot)02010504(dot)07050105(at)netscape(dot)com> -- the software company --

Orlando-di-Lasso Str. 2
D-85640 Putzbrunn

Tel. ++49(0)89 600 6920
Fax ++49(0)89 600 69220
mailto Josef(dot)Springer(at)joops(dot)com <mailto:Josef(dot)Springer(at)joops(dot)com>
Website http://www.joops.com