Re: Libpq free bug? (Was: [ODBC] IIS Postgres ASP ADO - Problem)

From: Marko Ristola <Marko(dot)Ristola(at)kolumbus(dot)fi>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Libpq free bug? (Was: [ODBC] IIS Postgres ASP ADO - Problem)
Date: 2005-08-01 21:12:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-odbc

Personally I cancelled this bug report:
The code contains a number of malloc() avoidance hacks for speedup, but
it seems to
be correct:

The speed optimizations confused me.

It seems, that only free(options[i].var) will be freed, if "var" is not
NULL.
Also free(options) will be freed. So this seems to work, because
PQconninfoOptions[i].val is NULL for every valid i.

Memory allocation debugger does not find any bugs here.
I was able to test that with my test.cpp.

Even though I could not find a bug in the case that Dave forwarded,
there is still a CONNECT problem that I can reproduce.

My CONNECT problem seems to be related with isql and self compiled
libdmalloc.so
enabled libpq and psqlodbc.so. It seems, that malloc() and free()
operations are correct,
but the libdmalloc internal memory structures are incorrect with isql.

I don't know the reason, but that seems to be the problem, that I have
found.

isql crashes under conninfo_parse() on line "free(buf)".
buf = malloc() and free(buf) seem to match each other (checked with gdb).
So it seems, that the problem relates with internal libdmalloc
implementation.

I had to modify libpq by inserting a header file into every C file and I
modified
Makefile to link libpq with libdmallocth.so. Even though libdmalloc crashes
often (at least dlclose() incompatibility), it seems to be a good tool
for searching memory
leaks even inside an ODBC driver: it tells the C file and the line of
the code, where the
memory leak happened.

Marko Ristola

Dave Page wrote:

>Forwarded to -bugs in case it gets missed.
>
>This looks like it might be an issue to me, though I may well have
>overlooked something in my brief look at the code.
>
>Regards, Dave

>>> "Database=wazuni;"
>>>
>>>asp code to use connection is :
>>> dim Arec, Acmd, SQL ,AConn
>>> set Arec = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
>>> Set AConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.CONNECTION")
>>> set Acmd = server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
>>> AConn.ConnectionTimeOut=30
>>> AConn.commandtimeout=30