Re: Remote administration functionality

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remote administration functionality
Date: 2005-07-31 08:55:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think the group generally would like a
> higher-level API that allows something like:
>
> SET GLOBAL log_statement = 'mod';

This is the typical Core point of view. Any function not usable from
psql can't be ok. So until psql isn't enabled to SET GLOBAL, the rest of
the world has to wait.

Please note that this configurability is not sufficient. If the server
is not running, it obviously can't work so a config tool must be able to
work on *.conf directly. This is how pgadmin already works, enabling an
config edit only mode to be included in pginstaller. I'm not inclined to
recode the wheel psql style.

Regards,
Andreas