Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
To: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-27 05:39:37
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Jeff Davis wrote:

>I think we are for the most part. It's a little slow. The best way to
>improve that is by having more tools. Most tools are either for MySQL,
>or they are "DB-independent", which basically means they don't use any
>features in PostgreSQL that aren't in MySQL. The applications of
>PostgreSQL specificly are often custom, and not widely deployed.

I think one of the important strengths that PostgreSQL brings to the
table is the ability to separate the application from the database. In
MySQL these are very closely merged. But with schemas, views, rules,
and triggers, it becomes possible for the *application* to use only a
restricted subset of standard features while behind the scenes the magic
works... MySQL really is a single application database where your app
is very closely tied to the data definition.

For example, I have a customer who uses PostgreSQL and SQL-Ledger. We
have designed a large number of custom views for reporting purposes.

If we wanted to, we could use triggers, views, and/or schemas to
integrate it with other open source apps even though neither would have
to know of the other.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting