Re: Cheap RAM disk?

From: John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>
To: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cheap RAM disk?
Date: 2005-07-26 19:15:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
Alex Turner wrote:
> Also seems pretty silly to put it on a regular SATA connection, when
> all that can manage is 150MB/sec.  If you made it connection directly
> to 66/64-bit PCI then it could actualy _use_ the speed of the RAM, not
> to mention PCI-X.
>
> Alex Turner
> NetEconomist

Well, the whole point is to have it look like a normal SATA drive, even
to the point that you can boot off of it, without having to load a
single driver.

Now, you could offer that you could recreate a SATA controller on the
card, with a SATA bios, etc. And then you could get the increased speed,
and still have bootable functionality.

But it is a version 1.0 of a product, and I'm sure they tried to make it
as cheap as possible (and within their own capabilities.)

John
=:->