Re: User's exception plpgsql

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Pavel Stehule <stehule(at)kix(dot)fsv(dot)cvut(dot)cz>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User's exception plpgsql
Date: 2005-07-26 01:41:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Neil Conway wrote:
> Not at the moment. I believe we have agreed that it would be better to
> remove the concept of "exception variables" and just use strings, but I
> haven't implemented this yet.

BTW, one minor annoyance I noticed: a builtin condition name can
actually map to multiple SQLSTATE values. If we allow a builtin
condition name to be specified to RAISE, this means we'll actually need
to pass around a list of SQLSTATE values that are thrown by the RAISE,
rather than a single SQLSTATE. This seems pretty ugly, though --
especially considering that only a handful of the builtin condition
names actually do map to multiple SQLSTATEs. Does anyone have a better
suggestion?

-Neil