Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-23 16:43:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

> I'd hate to see the analog of Zend in PostgreSQL world.
>
> Zend's business model is beneficial for them, but bad for PHP community.
> The classic example is absence of bytecode compilation (available in all
> other major scripting languages) in default PHP. To get this you need to
> pay money to Zend for Super Advanced Zend Enterprise Ready Accelerator

No you don't. PHP is BSD style licensed just like PostgreSQL. If you
want Super Advanced Zend Enterprise Ready Accelerator and don't want to
pay for it, you can create your own and several already have.

> Platform Plus, or whatever the thing is called now. The guys have a
> sh*tload of engine level bugs in the language and refuse to fix them,

Again BSD style license, anyone can jump in at any time and fix them.

> Maybe Zend is making inroads into the enterprise, but they are damaging
> their ecosystem in the process, by alienating the developers [1] that
> are building the major Open Source applications in and around PHP.

How are they damaging "their" ecosystem. It isn't "their" ecosystem, it
is the PHP communities, Zend is just one (albeit powerful within the
community) member.

If people were truly unhappy with the direction of PHP somebody would
fork it, fix it, and create PHP++.

The unfortunate part is that most PHP programmers don't care or don't
have the skills required to fix the problems.

I am not saying Zend is a good or bad company, I honestly don't know but
your arguments don't make sense to me.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting