Re: jdbc xa support

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>
Cc: Michael Allman <msa(at)allman(dot)ms>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: jdbc xa support
Date: 2005-07-23 07:13:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Michael Allman wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>
>>> 2. Using prepared statements like "PREPARE TRANSACTION ?" won't work.
>>> You can only use prepared statements for normal SELECT/UPDATE/DELETE
>>> commands.
>>
>> Doesn't the driver support client side prepared statements?
>
> No, they're server side. I tried that too at first, but it didn't work.

Yeah, it boils down to: you can only put a ? placeholder where there's a
PARAM terminal in the server's SQL grammar, as the driver translates the
placeholders to '$n' strings on Parse and uses Bind to pass the actual
values on each execution. COMMIT PREPARED etc take a Sconst, not a
PARAM, for their argument.

-O