Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Dave Cramer <davec(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: Christian Cryder <c(dot)s(dot)cryder(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp Conversion Woes Redux
Date: 2005-07-20 19:21:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Dave Cramer wrote:
> Actually,
>
> Java has timezones that postgres doesn't understand, which is
> why using the server timezone makes more sense.
>
> Hopefully java understands all the timezones postgres understands.

as we discovered the hard way, named timezones are a BAD IDEA. We had some
stuff in java + jdbc + postgres that used a timezone, when it was brought up in
Singapore, their local timezone memnonic wasn't recognized by postgres, and
when it was brought up in China, CST was misinterpretted as Central Standard
Time rather than China Standard Time (about 12 hours off)