Re: Problems with ODBC and ASP .NET 2.0

From: "Greg Campbell" <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
To: C Funky <funkapotomus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with ODBC and ASP .NET 2.0
Date: 2005-07-09 00:30:54
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Not too sure I can help you.
After looking into what was available I decided to use the Npgsql
instead of ODBC. It is very much more ADO.NET centric.
I have a app running for a couple of months continuous with moderate
load with nary a glitch.

I trust pooling to work, so all my "connect - do something - drop
connection" are very short, and used a lot, natch.

C Funky wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I've got a ASP .NET application running on Windows Server 2003
> accessing Postgresql (version 8.0) through ODBC on the 7.4 drivers and
> I've run into a bit of a problem. Under very light loads (a couple
> connections per hour) the application works fine. However, as the load
> increases, I start getting ODBC exceptions occasionally when the
> application tries to open a new connection. The exception contains no
> information other than something about being unable to determine the
> driver version. When this error first started popping up I'd have to
> restart the postmaster service for anything to work. Then, after
> turning on ODBC connection pooling and setting a timeout of 10 s, I
> could just wait a couple seconds, retry creating the connection and
> everything would work fine. Does anyone out there have any idea why
> this might be happening? I'm pretty new to Postgresql, so please
> forgive me if this is something super obvious that I've just missed.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Attachment Content-Type Size
greg.campbell.vcf text/x-vcard 241 bytes