Re: pg_autovacuum: short, wide tables

From: Mark Reid <mail(at)markreid(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>,"Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org,Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum: short, wide tables
Date: 2005-07-08 17:19:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs
>>I'm not proposing it for 8.1 though ...
>>

>Well, why not?  Arguably Mark's problem is a bug, and it's not too late
>to address bugs.

FWIW, I'd be satisfied with a warning in the autovacuum docs about this
corner case.

>I'm not sure about the idea of not vacuuming the toast table when we
>decide to vacuum the main table.

If you promote toast tables to autovacuum candidates that can be
vacuumed independently, I think autovacuum doesn't need to do both when
it does the main table.  This would potentially improve performance by
minimizing the amount of work that needs to be done when a vacuum is
necessary.  OTOH, you can't stop regular vacuum from including the toast
table otherwise way more people would start bugging you :)

-Mark.