postgresSQL data directory

From: Thanh Q Lam <thanh(dot)q(dot)lam(at)alcatel(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresSQL data directory
Date: 2005-07-08 14:24:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi,

We have a problems with postgresSQL 7.1.3 that suddenly all databases
don't work, and it logged the following message,

pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
pq_recvbuf: unexpected EOF on client connection
Smart Shutdown request at Fri Jul  8 09:19:47 2005
DEBUG:  shutting down
DEBUG:  database system is shut down

I ran pg_ctl restart/start/stop, nothing works and the error log showed
this message,

simba[postgres][44]% more postmaster.log.994
/rms2/pgsql/bin/postmaster does not find the database system.
    Expected to find it in the PGDATA directory "/nsm/pgsql/data",
    but unable to open file "/nsm/pgsql/data/global/pg_control": No such
file or directory

I tried setenv PGDATA to /nsm/pgsql/data, but it still doesn't work.
Then I moved the current data directory to data.bak and ran initdb
--pgdata /nsm/pgsql/data to initialized the data cluster and replaced
the data.bak with data, but no luck the postgres server still failed
starting up.
Since I don't have the dumpall up-to-date file, so I can't run a restore
of the database.  So, is there any ways to startup the postgres server
to use my current data cluster?

Thanks in advance,

/Thanh

pgsql-bugs by date