Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3

From: Joe <svn(at)freedomcircle(dot)net>
To: Peter Billen <peter(at)clueless(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Starting postgres 8.0.3
Date: 2005-07-02 12:14:07
Lists: pgsql-novice
Peter Billen wrote:
> Sorry for my quick message and 3 replies in a row. I forgot to do 'initdb'
> before starting the database. Everything works flawless now.

I'm glad you worked it out.  I forgot to mention something:  you had said that
you didn't want to install PostgreSQL as a service because you didn't want to
have it started automatically every time Windows booted up.  Well, you can
install it as a service and still control when it gets started.  After the
service is installed, you can go to the Services applet in the Control Panel,
left click on PostgreSQL and open its Properties, and then select Startup type
"Manual".  Then when you want to start it, you can do so from the Services
applet, or from the command line/Run dialog box using the command NET START.

Joe