Re: restore database from bare files

From: jehan procaccia <jehan(dot)procaccia(at)free(dot)fr>
To: Ben Kim <bkim(at)coe(dot)tamu(dot)edu>
Cc: Martin Fandel <martin(dot)fandel(at)alphyra-evs(dot)de>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, Lydie(dot)Soler(at)inapg(dot)inra(dot)fr, Yves Marteau <marteau(at)inapg(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: restore database from bare files
Date: 2005-07-01 09:07:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ben Kim wrote:

>>ezpublish_db-# ALTER USER ezpublish SET PASSWORD secret;
>>ERROR: syntax error at or near "$" at character 1
>>

>I wonder why you have "ezpublish_db-#" instead of "ezpublish_db=#"? I just
>noticed it, and to me it happens usually when something's been carried
>over from the previous line. My 2 pence...

indeed I typed a comment before without ending it with ";" that might
explain the "syntax error" !
for my pb, I have part of an explanation -> I forgot to recreate the
user ! so here I go again in one command to create user and set password:
$ createuser ezpublish -P
Enter password for new user: *******
Enter it again: *******
Shall the new user be allowed to create databases? (y/n) y
Shall the new user be allowed to create more new users? (y/n) n
CREATE USER
then:
$ psql ezpublish_db -U ezpublish -W
Password: *******
psql: FATAL: IDENT authentication failed for user "ezpublish"
I really don't understand :-(
If I go with postgres user, no pb:
$ psql ezpublish_db -U postgres

if it can help to debug, here's my users list:
ezpublish_db=# select * from pg_user;
usename | usesysid | usecreatedb | usesuper | usecatupd | passwd |
valuntil | useconfig

postgres | 1 | t | t | t | ******** | |
ezpublish | 100 | t | f | f | ******** | |
(2 rows)

If you have an idea , I'll really apreciate

Thanks !.