ODBC driver over network very slow

From: Milan Sekanina <milan(at)sde(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ODBC driver over network very slow
Date: 2005-06-30 10:28:55
Lists: pgsql-performance
We are running an application that uses psqlodbc driver on Windows XP to
connect to a server and for some reason the download of data from the
server is very slow. We have created a very simple test application that
inserts a larger amount of data into the database and uses a simple
"SELECT * from test" to download it back. The INSERT of 10MB takes about
4 seconds, while the SELECT takes almost 5 minutes (with basically
nothing else running on both the network and the two computers). If we
run the PostgreSQL server on the local machine so that the network is
not used, both actions are very fast.

Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this behavior? Are there
any driver settings/other drivers we should use? We are currently using
psqlodbc version 7.03.02.00, but it seems that other versions we tried
show the same behavior. We have tweaked the various driver settings but
the times remain basically unchanged.

Any ideas or hints are warmly welcome.

regards
Milan

pgsql-performance by date

Next:From: philippe ventrillonDate: 2005-06-30 12:38:36