Re: 1) Error event produced during 8.0.3 shutdown. 2) Likely rong interruption time reported in log files (8.0.0 and 8.0.3).

From: "Knut P Lehre" <k(dot)p(dot)lehre(at)world-online(dot)no>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org, mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net
Subject: Re: 1) Error event produced during 8.0.3 shutdown. 2) Likely rong interruption time reported in log files (8.0.0 and 8.0.3).
Date: 2005-07-22 10:44:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

>> 1) During postgresql 8.0.3 shutdown (net stop postgresql)
>> Error events appear in WinXP Pro and Win Server 2003. I
>> didn't see this before upgrading to
>> 8.0.3 from 8.0.0.
>> Error Category: None, Event 0, User N/A.
>
>This is true for all postgresql events, as they are not categorised. You
>need to look at the text in the comment field of the event to get what
>actually happened.
>
>//Magnus

OK. Event description is:

"The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( PostgreSQL ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message
DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to
use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support
for details. The following information is part of the event: 2005-07-21
09:47:39 LOG: logger shutting down."

So this does not indicate an error, just an ordinary shutdown? Isn't it
a bit misleading that the event is listed as an "Error"? There are also
"Warning" and "Information" event types.

(It looks like the second part of my post ("2) Likely wrong interruption
time reported in log files (8.0.0 and 8.0.3).") was split up into several
parts, and some of it is missing. I will therefore resubmit it in a separate
message.)

KP