Re: Cluster / Tablespace ?

From: "Nico Callewaert" <callewaert(dot)nico(at)telenet(dot)be>
To: "Carol Walter" <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cluster / Tablespace ?
Date: 2009-02-10 15:50:54
Lists: pgsql-novice
Thanks a lot....
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Carol Walter
  Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
  Sent: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 2:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Cluster / Tablespace ?

  On Feb 10, 2009, at 7:56 AM, Nico Callewaert wrote:

    Hi,

    Maybe my question is too simple...
    Anyway, I'm coming from a Firebird background where we just talk about a database file.  I read that PostgreSQL is working with a database cluster.  I don't know exactly the meaning of that and I didn't find a well explaining answer on the internet.

  Postgres uses this to distinguish between the postgres database engine or software and the databases that are created and maintained there.  When we talk about the postgres database we generally mean the engine or software, unless we say something like "I have a database that ..."  In the latter case, we're probably talking about a database in the cluster.  I cluster can be a single database.

    And is there a difference between a cluster and a tablespace ?

    Many thanks in advance, Nico