Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal for building knowledgebase website.
Date: 2005-06-09 18:14:30
Lists: pgsql-www

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Mark,
>

>>'k, I'm not disagreeing with your overall posting, but the above doesn't
>>quite make sense: "we dont' want to markup our articles in HTML, so
>>we're going to start a new site that we'll have to mark up in HTML
>>anyway"??
>

> Powerpostgresql.com requires no HTML to add content. Postgresql.org.br
> requires no HTML to add content. PlanetPostgresql.org doesn't require
> HTML to add content. etc.
>
> It's called a "Content Management System".

Just to throw a little more information into this. A CMS typically takes
care of the HTML content on its own. Thus if you use HTML within your
content it will correctly render. On the flip side if you don't it will
parse it against its own styles.

A lot of times they use their own markup language like a Wiki does. This
is one of the things that people like about them.

Personally I have never seen the need for yet another markup language
(no pun intended to YAML) and HTML works just fine for me. I type fast
enough to where it isn't and issue and after writing a book in DocBook,
HTML is childs play.

My vote is that if we are going to use a CMS it should be a CMS that is
mature. Bricolage for example, however as we are PHP people we probably
would have to go with Framewerk.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake