Re: Set timezone in ODBC

From: "Greg Campbell" <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>
To: "Walker Jed S" <Jed_Walker(at)cable(dot)comcast(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Set timezone in ODBC
Date: 2005-06-09 16:11:14
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Interesting question. It makes me wonder, is ODBC supposed to be a smart
pipe or a dumb pipe.

So I ask, it the timestamp being sent, a simple one, with no indication
of timezone.

The postgreSQL has a syntax for timestamps with timezones
hh:mm:ss+/-hh:mm eg (10:30:21-08:00, 09:35:17+05:00). see PostgreSQL
User's guide in the documentation as PDF - just look up datatypes Date
and Times.

Could the client do the translation to UTC/GMT, and that be what is
transmitted.

It seems that the areas DBMSs vary most are DDL (data definition
lanaguage) and DateTime signification.

Walker, Jed S wrote:

> We have just setup our first PostgreSQL system. We have a vendor product
> that connects via ODBC. That vendor product needs to talk in a different
> timezone than our database server is at. How can you specify a timezone
> to use through ODBC?
>

> Jed S. Walker

Attachment Content-Type Size
greg.campbell.vcf text/x-vcard 241 bytes