Re: Missing "New Node"

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>,pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Missing "New Node"
Date: 2005-06-09 10:33:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Hm, let me think what I might have been thinking those days.

1) Set/Subscription
Generally, new <object> on a <object> collection should be possible as
well as <new same obj> on a <object>. If that's missing, something's wrong.
In this case, things might be screwed up, because adding subscriptions
are only possible on sets that are not owned by the current node, while
maintaining sets is only possible on the owning node. Currently, own and
foreign sets/replications (viewed from the current node) aren't
distinguishable, so we probably should add icons to differentiate.

2) Nodes
IIRC In the beginning I explicitely didn't allow "New Node" because a
new replication node is created implicitely when a db is joined to a
cluster.

But:
With pgAdmin, there's a new "administrative node", which holds paths to
the replication nodes being maintained. There should be code in "create
cluster" and "Join Cluster" to create the administrative node as well.

pgAdmin needs access to all replication node servers, and thus needs to
store the connection info somewhere as well. This is done regarding the
pgAdmin machine (and all machines with similar connectivity) as
"administrative node", and the conn info is stored in the sl_path the
usual way. The sl_node itself won't tell the difference, there's just no
slon process running on it but a pgadmin (or phppgadmin :-).

I'd certainly like to mark nodes as replication/administration/both nodes.

Regards,
Andreas

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave PageDate: 2005-06-09 10:59:04
Previous:From: svnDate: 2005-06-09 09:43:22
Subject: SVN Commit by dpage: r4290 - in branches/REL-1_2_0_PATCHES/pgadmin3: . src/ui