Re: Is there a way to build 32-bit mode on 64-bit Linux boxes?

From: Wayne Schroeder <waynes(at)san(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is there a way to build 32-bit mode on 64-bit Linux boxes?
Date: 2005-06-08 18:38:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Is there a way to build 32-bit mode on 64-bit Linux
boxes?
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:34:42 -0700
From: Wayne Schroeder <waynes(at)san(dot)rr(dot)com>
To: AgentM <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>

Thanks for responding, everyone (Ross, Joshua, and AgentM), you all have
similar questions so I'll respond to them all here. (I'm glad this is
finally working, don't know why my work email (linux emacs) didn't get
thru).

My App is the Metadata Catalog (MCAT) of the SDSC Storage Resource
Broker -
(see http://www.sdsc.edu/srb/ ). The MCAT runs on various OSes (various
versions of Linux, Mac OS X, Solaris, AIX, etc (not Windows yet, but our
client programs do) and can use various RDBMSs (Postgres, Oracle, DB2,
etc). The SRB provides a distributed file system, datagrid, or digital
library, depending how you look at it (see web site and FAQ); and is
used in
various large-scale scientific (NSF) or archival projects (NARA), etc.
SRB/MCAT is freely available to academic and government sites (altho it
is
not, unfortunately, open source).

Quite a few SRB sites are now using Postgresql, at least for testing and
experimentation, partly because I developed an install script that
configures and builds everything (postgres, odbc, and srb) fairly
easily.
So I know little about configuring and building odbc and postgres, but I
don't know much about them beyond that.

The MCAT code isn't ready for 64-bit addressing yet. It's on our todo
list,
but it will be a fairly big project and it will be a while before we can
get
to it.

The MCAT process is using ODBC to talk to posgresql. It sounds like I
could
build MCAT and ODBC in 32-bit mode. But would ODBC then have any
problem
talking with a 64-bit postgresql server? You've confirmed that 32-bit
clients can talk to 64-bit postgres, but does that include ODBC too? I
think I tried to build ODBC in 32-bit mode, ran into some problems, and
wasn't sure this setup would work anyway. If you'all think that should
work, I'll try it again.

Thanks,

- Wayne -
http://users.sdsc.edu/~schroede/