Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jharris(at)tvi(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Tablespace-level Block Size Definitions
Date: 2005-05-31 20:55:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hey everyone,

I'm sure this has been thought of but was wondering whether anyone had
discussed the allowance of run-time block size specifications at the
tablespace level? I know that a change such as this would substantially
impact buffer operations, transactions, access methods, the storage
manager, and a lot of other stuff, however it would give an
administrator the ability to inhance performance for specific applications.

Arguably, one can set the block size at compile-time, but for a system
running multiple databases it *may* be a nice feature. Would it be used
a lot? Probably not. Would I use it? Certainly! Would some of my
clients use it? Yes.

Perhaps a TODO item for some advantageous company to fund?

-Jonah