Re: skip FK trigger on UPDATE

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: skip FK trigger on UPDATE
Date: 2005-05-30 00:16:15
Lists: pgsql-patches
Tom Lane wrote:
> You seem to have also done a fair amount of unrelated hacking around.
> What's the point of removing the distinction between check_ins and
> check_upd functions?

I talked about this in an earlier message to -hackers: check_upd was
actually unused (check_ins was used for both inserts and updates).

> I think that may confuse existing client code
> that looks at the triggers, without really buying much.  A possibly
> stronger argument is that if we find down the road that we need
> separate functions again, we'll be in a bit of a sticky place; at
> least if we need it to fix a bug without forcing initdb.

Hmm, I suppose -- if you prefer I can have check_ins called by the
INSERT trigger and check_upd called by the UPDATE trigger, which
probably makes more sense.

-Neil