Re: Update on tables when the row doesn't change

From: Sebastian Böck <sebastianboeck(at)freenet(dot)de>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Update on tables when the row doesn't change
Date: 2005-05-24 16:05:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> I'm sure I'm not the only one, but, what are you talking about? RULEs
> are not really obvious so it would help if you could post an example of
> what you mean...
>
> Have a nice day,

Hi, I'm not really talking about rules.

I'm talking about updates on *real* tables, and how to avoid
unnecessary updates on these tables if the row doesn't change.

The situation looks like this:

I have a view which is a join of a lot of tables.

I have lot of conditional ON UPDATE rules to that view that split one
update to the view into updates on the underlying table. The condition
of each rule is constructed in a way that the underlying table only
gets an update if the corresponding values change.

If I collapse all these rules into one conditional rule and pass all
the updates to the underlying tables, I get a lot of unnecessary
updates to these real tables, if the values don't change.

Thats what I want to avoid.

Sorry for not beeing that clear.

Sebastian