Re: JPA and desktop apps

From: "Donald Fraser" <postgres(at)kiwi-fraser(dot)net>
To: "[JDBC]" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JPA and desktop apps
Date: 2010-07-27 10:39:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I'd like to add my 2p worth (2c for those using $).
The company I work for (cisx.com) wrote an entire suit of desktop
applications using Swing, JDBC and PostgreSQL.
We embarked on this project back in 2001 and looked at using more modern
architecture however with the likes of EJB2 on offer at that time we decided
that it wasn't mature enough and chose the above "old-school" two-tier
approach.
We wrote everything from scratch. An entire object based library that models
a flat table view of a SQL database. That is we modelled columns, rows and
tables. We created an API into the database via SQL VIEWS, so that the
client never has to perform joins, everything on the client remains as a
simple flat table. All of the business logic is embedded on the database,
however to make the client more user friendly you do have to replicate some
of this logic in the client code.
It works well as long as everything fits into the SQL table model. In the
real world this is not always the case and it becomes hard work trying to
fit "round pegs into square wholes" (the usual complaints).
We chose PostgreSQL purely on its LISTEN/NOTIFY capabilities such that we
have implemented an event driven model so that table views update
automatically (we modified the JDBC driver to get non-polling asynchronous
events from the server).

General complaints:
- Maintenance is hard work when you have 100+ tables.
- The system requires a lot of naming conventions to be followed.
- Swing is badly written and I would avoid it at all costs if we were to
start again. We had to modify JTable to get virtual views however the model
still requires in advance the number of rows in the table. COUNT is an
expensive operation on tables that have millions of records in them.
The number of "hoop jumping" and "hacking" you have to do to get everything
working nicely with the AWT event queue is ridiculous.
I could go on an on about the problems with Swing. The main thing to note is
that you don't have to be using JPA to be having problems with it.
- Remote client connections via firewalls / proxy servers is problematic.
Again we modified the JDBC driver so that we could use tunnelling
techniques. This required us to redirect port 443 on our incoming firewalls
to port 5432 on the database server, meaning we cannot host a secure
web-server on the same IP address. That aside, all works reasonably well,
however a lot of clients use "single sign on" for connecting to their proxy
servers and our application is non-compliant here because the amount of work
to modify the JDBC driver for this is beyond our available resources and
knowledge base. End result: a lot of clients have to have special proxy
settings just for our application, which they complain about endlessly...
- Upgrading remote clients means re-installing software on their computers
which is again not nice for these clients.
- Finally, there are many other areas that I have not mentioned, which
provide us with headaches - I'm only mentioning the main points here as I
have already rambled on beyond 2p worth...

Positive notes:
- High availability is simple with a two-tier approach, especially with
PostgreSQL's WAL system.

We are currently embarking on moving to a three-tier system using the thin
client model (web-server). The two technologies that we are considering are
GWT and Wicket.

There are so many things that the three-tier model architecture solves and
we believe these technologies are mature now. I would reconsider the
two-tier approach because no matter which way you go, JDBC or JPA, you are
going to have many problems to solve. IMO JPA is not designed for the
two-tier approach and you have pointed out many problems already and you
have only just started with the idea.
I guess you have to evaluate how complex the system you are building is and
whether it is worthy of a two-tier or three-tier architecture.

What ever you choose good luck!
Regards
Donald Fraser