Re: pgAdmin3.app library problem

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Jyrki Wahlstedt <jyrki(dot)wahlstedt(at)hut(dot)fi>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin3.app library problem
Date: 2005-05-20 16:42:30
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:
> On 20.5.2005, at 16:22, Jyrki Wahlstedt wrote:

>>> Hm... which gcc (3.3 or 4.0 - both are shipped with osx tiger dev-
>>> tools) did you use for pgadmin3? and which one for wx? If you  didn't
>>> use
>>> the same version, thats quite certainly the problem ;-)
>>>
>> Ok,
>> should have said that right away. I used 3.3 with wxWidgets, didn't
>> build otherwise. Next step for me: use 3.3 for pgAdmin, too. I'll  let
>> you know, thanks!
>>
> That was it, thank you! BTW, would it be ok, if I tried to write a
> Portfile to include pgAdmin3 to DarwinPorts? It shouldn't be too  hard,
> actually, as wxWidgets is there already and also postgresql(8)  and they
> seem to work together (at least as long as the compilers  agree:-).
> That is, if it's a good idea!?

Should you ever try compiling wx+pgadmin3 with gcc4, please let me know
if it works - I'm still doing my pgadmin3-related work on panther,
because I guess versions compiled on tiger won't run on panther...

Regarding the Portfile - I guess more ways to get pgadmin3 running on
osx are always good, so I'd say: go for it! ;-)
You'll have to decide, however, if you want to install it "the unix way"
- the language and xrc stuff to /usr/share/pgadmin3, the binary to
/usr/bin, ...
Or if you want to do it the "osx way", and build an .app-bundle. The
second choice should work out-of-the-box - I'm not sure about the first.
You might run into trouble, because if you start a graphical app that is
not contained in a bundle, sometimes the interface appears, but you
can't click it. To solve this, you either need to build a .app-bundle,
or you needs to add a resource-fork to the binary.

greetings, Florian Pflug